Attorney Jonathan Fields will be speaking at MCLE about Inheritance, Trusts & Divorce on 09/23/2020. Learn more about the program here http://www.mcle.org/product/catalog/code/2210108P01. We hope you’ll join him!
The interplay between inheritance, trusts, and divorce raises a series of issues every estate planning and family law attorney must be prepared to address. What steps should estate planning attorneys take to protect assets prior to or in anticipation of divorce? What is the procedure for courts to value a trust interest for purposes of equitable distribution and/or support payments? What are the recent legal decisions that influence practices related to inheritance, trusts interests, or divorce? Attend this program to hear expert faculty answer these questions and others that arise when these topics collide.
Compassion and Guidance Through the Attorney’s Eyes with Guest, Andrea E. DeLaney, Esq. Andrea specializes in family law and divorce, including child custody, child support, paternity, alimony and asset division. Together with Host, Cece Shatz on Going Solo with Cece Show, they chatted about the asset division process and various legal steps in divorce. WGSN-DB Going Solo Network, Radio, TV & Podcasts (www.goingsolomedia.com)
As most of you know, the probate and family law courts in Massachusetts are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. How can you resolve your matter during this crisis.
1. If its an emergency, your matter may be able to be heard telephonically. But those are rare, as I understand it. What you and I think is an emergency may not be one for the court. Domestic Violence Restraining orders may qualify as an emergency. A financial issue, including a modification of support based on a loss of job, may not.
2. You should consider mediation. The mediators here at Fields and Dennis can help you resolve your dispute using remote videoconferencing.
3. Since mediation isn’t binding, you may want to consider submitting a matter to arbitration which is binding. With arbitration, the parties can select an arbitrator, present the case to him/her by submitting papers and remote videoconferencing. I have acted as arbitrator and am certified by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
4. With both mediation and arbitration, the parties decide what the issues are: maybe it’s the whole case, or maybe its just parenting time during the current pandemic. You might just need mediation or arbitration as a stopgap to get you through til the courts are fully operational again.
5. Whatever your needs, please feel free to give us a call at Fields and Dennis. Our number is 781.489.6776.
Who pays back student loans after divorce depends on your states’ laws. Most likely if you took out the student loans prior to marriage and they are in your name you are responsible for paying. Student loans that you and your spouse took out while you are married can get confusing.
Working Through Divorce with Online Divorce Mediation
Fields and Dennis LLP is offering confidential online consultations through video conference. We also are offering online mediations. Call us at 781-489-6776 to schedule your consultation or online mediation.
Online divorce mediation is an easy and safe way to keep your divorce negotiations on track during the Coronavirus lockdown period and while social distancing protocols are in place. Divorce can be difficult but even if you are not a regular user of technology, we are making online divorce and mediation convenient and accessible for all our clients. Most online mediation can be easily done by simply clicking on a link that takes you to an online mediation room where you can chat in complete discretion with the other party and the mediator. Everything done online is completely private. We take your privacy very seriously and have put in place all the necessary protocols to ensure your information is completely secure online. Please read more about our online divorce mediation services.
Many couples will find this pandemic extremely disruptive to their marriages. However, Experts across the world believe that marriages can be strengthened through new coping skills.
If you were still married at the end of 2018 that check will be considered part of your marital property and will be subject to division as part of the divorce. If you have children that additional $500 check will also be subject to the divorce terms. Certified public accountant Dean Owen gives you more on this subject…
Media reports from various cities across China have seen divorce rates surge after couples begin to emerge after weeks of government lockdowns. It is also clear that domestic violence had also seen big increases. This trend is an ominous warning for couples and families in the U.S. who are still in the early stages of quarantining at home.